This recipe has been adapted from a book titled Just Jerky, plus conversations with a jerky-master, plus a lot of experimentation. The flavor is salty and sweet, and you’re welcome to make changes to make it your own. Keep in mind, subtleties with the sauces, dry ingredients, thickness of the strips, as well as drying time will produce much different tasting and different textured jerkys.
- 1.5lbs beef rump roast
- 1.5 cup teriyaki
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- Freeze the beef rump roast for 5 hours.
- Take beef rump roast out of the freezer and slice into 1/8th inch strips. NOTE: Cutting against the grain or with it will produce a different textured jerky when all is said and done.
- Mix all ingredients.
- Marinate for 4-12 hours - longer time will result in more flavorful jerky.
- Place jerky on dehydrator racks.
- Set temperature to 160 F.
- Dry for 3-5 hours - longer drying times will result in dryer, more brittle jerky.